Dell XPS 15 Reviews

1 out of 5reviewed on Dec 05, 2016
I purchased my Dell XPS 15 (9550) in April 2016. In the first week of October, the laptop refused to turn on. I placed a call with Dell, and they advised to remove the battery and install it back. This resulted in nothing and was a waste of time. They sent a technician to change the board and it worked. For a while.

Fast forward about 30 days, again, around the 10th of November, I was using the laptop and it suddenly turned off. Placed another call with Dell, and they advised a technician will come to replace the board (again). After that, I
 
started having issued with the mouse and HDMI. The mouse became erratic, and whenever I plugged a monitor through the HDMI port, the display was white. Raised yet another call with Dell, and this time they sent a technician to replace the touchpad, nothing was fixed. The fourth time, the technician came to replace the touchpad (again), the board (again) and the touchscreen (but, Dell sent the wrong model).

The technician changed the first two items, but the issues I was having persisted. Nothing was fixed.

On this day, the laptop froze over 8 times, most of the times when Windows 10 first boots up, and sometimes at boot up while the Dell logo is still showing.

If I had written this review when I first bought it, almost six months ago, I would have easily given it five stars. I've even recommended it to colleagues, but luckily no one bought it.

Make sure to read my review on Dell Customer Service in another review.


2 out of 5reviewed on Nov 10, 2016
The software on the Dell XPS 15 (9550) laptop order was not linked into the digital delivery system, so was not available. It took over a month to rectify and only then with the threat of consumer protection. Then, since the $3800 computer had not been useable for that month for the intended work due to the missing software, a request for some form of compensation such as simply an extension of the warranty was made - I would expect that at the very least to maintain goodwill and seemed reasonable since the warranty period was ticking over wh ile Dell customer support sat on their hands. But the only offer in the way of compensation was a cordless mouse when really given that dealing with Dell Customer Support cost me many many hours and over $600 in lost revenue. Another cordless mouse is no use to me. It is certainly not adequate recompense for not being able to use something that had just cost that much and was not useable for the purpose for which it was bought.
However, once it was all up and running, the speed, screen quality (UHD touch), feel of the materials, etc. is all excellent. Metal outer case, carbon-fibre-look internal face and very slick track pad. And the touch screen is very responsive.
If only Dell had ordering and support systems that worked, or a proper complaints and problem resolution service that is not all talk and no action - for example, I was handed over to a manager who promised to give me daily updates, but never did.
At the same time I also purchased a Lenovo, the other brand I typically purchase. The support for that product and its performance were even better than expected and I would now always choose Lenovo over Dell after this recent experience. It is a pity as the Dell hardware was good and I have had success several years ago with top end Dell laptops including excellent problem resolution, but that level of service is no longer available it appears. They should not be charging premium prices if they cannot back up with quality service, even if the product is amazing. A great product is worthless without the service to back it up and to ensure that it is useable and performs as intended and as ordered.


2 out of 5reviewed on Jan 05, 2014
For a top of the range laptop i am disappointed with it.
First a memory fault, the online tech advised me to remove the bottom of the laptop and try all connectors, apparently it was a known issue. Second, on battery the unit goes to sleep after the set time, the laptop will not restart without a hard boot, this also appears on various forums as a known fault. Third, a battery not detected message randomly occurred, for several weeks and now this fault has disappeared.
Purchased July 2013.


Previous
Next Post »